Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Greetings from the Fat Side

Greetings!

Before anyone thinks I might be some sort of Liz Taylor-esqe wedding cake addict and that I'm lining up husband number 5, I should tell you straight off that the '5th Time' I'm referring to, is the number of times I've joined Slimming World over the last 16 years. 3 of the 4 previous times have been pretty abysmal but I'm nothing if not stubborn!

So what makes this time any different? 


  1. I turned 37 at the end of last year and I'm suddenly seeing 40 on the horizon. That means I've been overweight for about 25 years and I'm determined not to enter another decade with plantar fasciitis, back pain and chafed thighs (particularly as my hubby has promised me a holiday for my 40th!)
  2. Plantar fasciitis is now so bad that walking around the house and classroom often requires holding on to chairs and tables - disgusting for someone of my age.
  3. My youngest is only 3 and wants to be able to run around the park - I can't keep up with him and spend most of the time just watching as my eldest two give chase.
  4. I quit smoking three months ago and this is the last hurdle!

I'm sure as I go through this journey there'll be other reasons that I think of but these are certainly the ones which inspired me to head back into the local primary school last night and rejoin Slimming World. 

My history with Slimming World is pretty chequered:

Joined 1997 - left about 6 weeks later - weight loss about 10 lbs
Joined 2006 - left about 6 weeks later - weight loss about 8 lbs
Joined 2010 - left 4 months later - weight loss 3 stone
Joined 2012 - left 6 weeks later - weight loss 10 lbs
Joined 2013 - 

In between I've done Atkins, Blood Type, GI, GI, Rosemary Conley and Weight Watchers and never lost as much as I did in 2010. I was on maternity leave at the time but as soon as I went back to work I put all of the weight back on again. With interest.

Last night, I sheepishly entered the group run by Fiona, who was my Consultant in 2010, and who is the main reason I chose to attend this new group, midway between work and home so there's absolutely no excuse for not attending.

Weigh-In
En route to the session, I was trying to prepare myself for what I might see on the scales. So I picked a number. A HUGE number. A number that I was comfortable seeing on the scale (in the sure and certain knowledge that I would be considerably under it). Clever, eh?
I was 8.5lbs over it. OVER!

So, here goes. 

That makes me 18 stone 8.5lbs. Without a doubt, the heaviest I have ever been in my life. My BMI is a shocking 39.6, only just outside morbidly obese. I'm fortunate enough to be tall and only ever reached a size 20 but I'm under no illusions about how I look. 

So...onwards and upwards. 

Perhaps it's presumptous to think that anyone will ever even read this blog and, to be honest, I don't even mind if no-one ever does. But this is my journey and I'd like to have a record of it for the years to come and, if it helps anyone else on the way, then that'd be grand!

No comments:

Post a Comment